Other class libraries

Roman Kennke roman at kennke.org
Tue Jun 24 21:30:43 UTC 2008

>  As we discussed a little on IRC earlier today, it's actually quite a
> ridiculous situation that GNU Classpath and OpenJDK are just about
> under the same license, but because of that 'or later' clause, they
> are incompatible.

IANAL either, but from my understanding this is not the problem. At
least not for contributors. The problem is copyright, and this is
regardless of the license, proprietary or free. If I look at Sun's code
and then go and implement something in GNU Classpath that is very
similar or equal to what I studied before in OpenJDK, I risk to be
blamed for copyright infringement. Normally in FLOSS projects this is
less of a problem because people have an attitude of sharing anyway, but
as you said, that doesn't count much from a legal POV. Of course, if the
licenses were compatible it would be much easier, we could simply import
the code in question into external/ and be done.

/Roman

--
http://kennke.org/blog/