[Devjam] Current support and a practical road map

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Sun Dec 4 12:53:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

There are always a lot of questions on where we are, where we are going
and what can be expected to work now and in the near future. So a couple
of us sat down and created the following "road map".
Escaping the Java Trap
A practical road map to the Free Software and Open Source alternatives

        For the last couple of years the community has been working to
        ensure that developers can create applications using the java
        programming language without having to depend on proprietary
        software. Today, the free (as in libre) implementations are
        already very capable and support a vast amount of functionality
        that developers expect from a java-like environment. Important
        large applications like JOnAS, OpenOffice.org 2, Eclipse 3 and
        Tomcat 5 are known to work. This document provides a road map of
        the various projects; how they work together, where they are,
        where they're going, and how we make sure that they work well
        and are compatible.

http://developer.classpath.org/support/

Hope it is useful for the distro packagers to point people to for a
quick overview. The goal was to make it into a small (two-page) pamphlet
that we could hand out during hacker happenings. But it turned into
three pages. Help reducing it while keeping the good stuff is
appreciated.

We hope to keep this page up to date with future updates. Hopefully when
we meet during Fosdem 2006 we can create an updated version.

Cheers,

Mark