[Devjam] Packaging japitools [Fwd: Re: japi and protected field declaring classes]

Petteri Räty betelgeuse at gentoo.org
Tue Dec 20 14:16:29 UTC 2005

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (Forwarded from the classpath list for those that aren't following it.)
>
> During DevJam we talked a bit about libraries that changed binary or
> source compatibility between (minor) releases. That is often not even
> deliberate. Japitools from Stuart can help catching such situations. And
> Wolgang was willing to package it for Debian. I think it should be
> packaged for all distributions since it can help both developers and
> packagers catch such situations early.
>
> Japitools can be found at http://www.kaffe.org/%7Estuart/japi/
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Could someone tell me if I just using japitools wrong or is japitools
just buggy:
with 0.9.5:

betelgeuse at pena ~/bin $ japize as foo packages
/usr/share/edtftpj/lib/edtftpj.jar +com.enterprisedt.net.ftp

Processing package com.enterprisedt.net.ftp,:=
Failed to Japize com.enterprisedt.net.ftp.FTPActiveDataSocket:
java.lang.NullPointerException

Failed to Japize com.enterprisedt.net.ftp.FTPClient:
java.lang.NullPointerException

And tons of NullPointerException for different classes follow.

Then with CVS HEAD:
betelgeuse at pena ~/checkouts/japitools/bin $ ./japize as foo packages
/usr/share/edtftpj/lib/edtftpj.jar +com.enterprisedt.net.ftp
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.lang.Object
        at net.wuffies.japi.ClassFile.forName(ClassFile.java:1530)
        at net.wuffies.japi.Japize.getClassWrapper(Japize.java:1249)
        at net.wuffies.japi.Japize.doJapize(Japize.java:321)
        at net.wuffies.japi.Japize.main(Japize.java:245)

Tried with different sun vms and kaffe and did not find any difference.
The head issue is most likely a bug because it tries to find
java.lang.Object inside edtftpj.jar.

Regards,
Petteri